What animals have you run in to on the trails?

edited March 2018 in Campfire Chat
I was just watching this video of a couple bears following some hikers down the trails, and it got me thinking ... what are the best/craziest animals you've run in to on the trails? And if dangerous, how did you get away?

Comments

• Kasey M.Kasey M. ✭✭✭
    I live and hike in Maine.

I've run into:
    rabbits, partridge, moose, deer, canadian jays, spruce grouse (a favorite because they will follow you and sometimes allow you to touch them - also named Fool Hens), one time a black bear, grey & red fox, red & grey squirrels, short tail weasels.

One time i followed a bull moose down a trail with my gopro in Baxter State Park while it uprooted signs. I made sure to keep large White Pines between me and him. He eventually took off into the bush.

Also at Baxter State Park moose often wander through campsites.

Attached a picture of a Fool Hen that let me touch it

Best,

Kasey Marsters
    foxtrickadventures.com
  • Does he look like he cares I'm there?  The best Bear pictures never get taken because my hand is on the bear spray.
  • I was just watching this video of a couple bears following some hikers down the trails, and it got me thinking ... what are the best/craziest animals you've run in to on the trails? And if dangerous, how did you get away?
    I ran into a Black Bear in Dupont area on a hike to Wintergreen falls. My wife and I kind of spooked him and he slowly scampered away. Once he stopped he turned and looked at us. I think he was making sure we were not following, which we were not. We slowly walked away keeping him in sight a kept on hiking. We never ran and he left us alone. We met up with a Park Ranger and showed him a picture and he said at rough estimate could have been 250 lbs and came up to our waist on all 4s. If you would like check out the picture I posted. Type in Wintergreen Falls. Happy Trails!!!  
  • I was hiking the Middle Slaughter Canyon trail at Carlsbad Canyon NP when I encountered a Barbary sheep staring at me from a high cliff ledge. He gave me the evil eye and I stared right back. Then he did something completely unexpected…he charged me and got real close before he bolted off in another direction (to my relief.) He was huge and could easily have trampled me…they are lightning fast. I lost sight of him until half a minute later when I spotted him and a couple of friends high above at the top of a mountain.

• Kasey M.Kasey M. ✭✭✭
    I was hiking at sunrise once at Jumbo Rocks in Joshua Tree and I stopped to take in the view when suddenly I heard an ominous rattle. I froze and looked around for its source. I had stepped on a living, breathing land mine - right on the head of a rattle snake catching the first rays of warmth from the sun! I hated what I had to do because it was an accident that our paths crossed but I probably would have been bit otherwise. I put all my weight in pulses down on that one foot until the rattle stopped and then jumped off and away in case it was still alive. Had to take a minute to regroup.

Best,

Kasey Marsters

FoxTrickAdventures.com
  • I was just hiking out of the Russell Pond area of Baxter State Park in Maine and within .25 miles of the campground I happened upon a Canadian Lynx in the trail at 545am! Pretty excellent. 2.5 miles later I found myself between a cow moose and a bull moose. Sprinting, yelling and more sprinting ensued. The bull moose decided he was more interested in the lady moose than killing me since it's the rut presently. Needless to say I covered a lot of ground very quickly = best hike ever!

-Kasey @ foxtrickadventures.com