Sedona Arizona family hikes advice please

Paul T.Paul T.
edited February 14 in Hiking
Please provide several options for family-friendly hikes in the Sedona area for the beginning of April-2018.

We're looking for 4-6hour hikes, moderate difficulty, up to 500m elevation gain (12yr old, 18yr, 40yrs). The challenge is that I'm reading contradictory reviews of trials that I research when using the trail search / filters. I need some testimonials, please!!!

I'm having difficulty calibrating my experience in the snow-capped Rockies (Banff, Alberta, Canada) vs the dessert. Summer hiking up to 30km / 1.5km vertical, in 25oC, at 2,400m elevation is my local limit. I've never hiked in the dessert before and am just starting to read about humidity, poisonous hazards, water availability, cell reception (emergency).

Any extra emergency preparedness and wildlife cautions would be appreciated.
Thank you!
PaulT

Comments

• i recommend West Fork trail located just North of Sedona in Oak Creek Canyon. It is a popular hiking trail, but very scenic and good for hikers of all age and skill levels. I have hiked it many times with both my 2 and 4 legged family and friends. You can make it a 3 - 4 hour or 6 - 8 hour hike depending on how far back you go. Oak Creek follows this trail back into the canyon. Good parking available at the TH. 
  • Paul T. said:
    Please provide several options for family-friendly hikes in the Sedona area for the beginning of April-2018.

We're looking for 4-6hour hikes, moderate difficulty, up to 500m elevation gain (12yr old, 18yr, 40yrs). The challenge is that I'm reading contradictory reviews of trials that I research when using the trail search / filters. I need some testimonials, please!!!

I'm having difficulty calibrating my experience in the snow-capped Rockies (Banff, Alberta, Canada) vs the dessert. Summer hiking up to 30km / 1.5km vertical, in 25oC, at 2,400m elevation is my local limit. I've never hiked in the dessert before and am just starting to read about humidity, poisonous hazards, water availability, cell reception (emergency).

Any extra emergency preparedness and wildlife cautions would be appreciated.
    Thank you!
    PaulT

I hike in Sedona 3-4 times a year.  I like starting in downtown Sedona (behind the Arabella Hotel) and hike on the Marge Trail and hike that past "Snoopy Rock" and going all the way to the creek....it's about a 8 mile round trip.    Other great hike is the trail to Devil's Bridge!
  • @shannon b. @Gary W. Thanks for the great suggestions! 
  • I thought I would post a few photos of "Devil's Bridge" in Sedona
  • Gary W. said:
    I thought I would post a few photos of "Devil's Bridge" in Sedona
    Gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing! 
  • Anything that ends with "Slide Rock" is a winner for the family! My family took a trip there when I was about 14, and we have never stopped talking about it (36 now).