Quality of user trail reviews

How can we improve the quality of user trail reviews? Many reflect more on the individual than on the reviewed trail. For example, if a couch potato travels from sea level to hike at high altitude the same day, his bad experience has little to do with the trail, and his review will be meaningless to the hiking community.

Comments

• Good question Keith. I've found this to be an issue with user reviews in general. For example, when I read restaurant reviews I have to really separate the reviewers negative issues with a particular experience vs the specific food. Maybe they gave the restaurant a bad review because they hated their waiter but the food was amazing. We are getting ready to rework reviews on Trails.com so if you have any suggestions I would love to hear them!
  • Kasey M.Kasey M. ✭✭
    edited April 10
    what if during the review process there were custom fields (created by Trails.com) that were required to be filled out by the user? That way they could still share their couch potato experience but also fill out trail condition, weather, views, traffic, if dogs are allowed etc etc.

currently, it's choose a rating star, pick the date, and then an open field for comments. 

• Kasey M. said:
    what if during the review process there were custom fields (created by Trails.com) that were required to be filled out by the user? That way they could still share their couch potato experience but also fill out trail condition, weather, views, traffic, if dogs are allowed etc etc.

currently, it's choose a rating star, pick the date, and then an open field for comments. 

Something like that would be good, but I don't know about making them required fields.  When I fill out a form with required fields, it seems there's always at least one that just doesn't apply to my situation, and it's irritating having to make something up.  Just having those fields, though, even if they weren't required, would at least encourage reviewers to give more relevant information.  What I'm especially interested in with a review is whether the trail guide left out any information, and whether anything has changed since the guide was written.  For example, I just hiked the Big Jacks Creek trail south of Bruneau, Idaho, and I found that since the guide was written, the last half mile of road has been closed and converted to trail.  I included that information in my review.
  • Some sites have a way to indicate your experience level as part of the review to help other users know where you are coming from. Or there's the amazon model of allowing users to vote (thumb up/down) the reviews to better surface the helpful ones.