Lumbar packs

edited February 20 in Gear Advice & Care
What are the best lumbar packs out there for short day hikes? 

Answers

• Related question: What are the best larger capacity lumbar packs? The two that I have had both "tilted " backward too much when side pockets were loaded w/ water bottles - despite using all available strap adjusters.
  • I have a Mountainsmith that is +20 years??  Best pack I’ve ever owned. Still looks new. Although it will sagg I either (when at capacity) shock cord thru the top handles around my midsection or use a small fanny pack for the same purpose which also gives me quick access for phone or other frequently used items. Lumbar packs are the way to go especially for those with back neck issues. Never understand why anyone would use a shoulder daypack. Weight should be carried on hips. 
  • I have a Badlands Superday Pack; it isn't specifically a lumbar pack, but the weight distribution and balance is so good that even fully loaded I can adjust the shoulder straps so there is no weight on them at all.  It is a little expensive, but it comes with a lifetime guarantee.  I have been using it heavily for four years, and nothing is worn out or broken on it.
  • Y'all have to check out Hill People Gear. Made in the USA. They have a couple different lumbar style belts and also kit bags. I own the Umlindi pack and a Kit Bag that attaches to the front/chest area.

I'm planning on buying their Recon Belt, which is a stripped down lumbar belt, but you can customize it with "buckets" and accessories or add it to a pack system for support (my Umlindi).

Anyway - I'm a huge fan (not an employee of). They have super high-quality gear - fantastic customer service and it looks super cool too. Supports military gear (MOLLE/PALs)

Best,

Kasey Marsters
    foxtrickadventures.com
    Helping kids find "True North"