Communications on the Trails

Brooks B.Brooks B.
edited March 2018 in Survival 101
My wife (and dog) and I go out trail riding and hiking in the Ozark National Forest quite often in search of waterfalls and other of natures wonders.  Occasionally we'll get stuck, or broke down and there is no cell phone coverage on most of the areas we frequent.  What do y'all use for communications to get help when you have problems in the wilderness?  CB Radio?  UHF Radio?  I know there are plusses and minuses to both, but I just don't know if any are really effective in the valleys and gorges of the mountains we frequent.

Comments

• With no cell phone coverage, CB & UHF freq. are probably going to be unhelpful also.
    Most reliable is a satellite phone, however expensive.  A signal and tracking device like the SPOT is what my wife insist I use.  It has an SOS feature and can also be used to remotely track the wearer.  Very light weight and simple to use. 
  • Kasey M.Kasey M. ✭✭✭
    Smoke signals  :)

Spot is a great idea - or ultra range walkie talkies have a chance of being picked up for miles, depending on the terrain. Here in Maine I'd be lucky in the hills to catch a frequency within 2-6 miles.

Carry a mirror, fire starting stuff, flashlight, basic survival kit, a spot and/or walkie talkie, cell phone with a mophie/portable charger.

Best,

Kasey Marsters

foxtrickadventures.com
  • Kasey M.Kasey M. ✭✭✭
    Also....Little notepads by Rite in the Rain are awesome to carry with a pen / pencil. You can let your group know where you're going if you get separated. You can let others know where you are if you get lost. The condition you are in. Hazards others may face. Plus, journaling and drawing is fun.

Best,

Kasey Marsters

FoxTrickAdventures.com

Stand For The Kids!
  • Kasey M. said:
    Also....Little notepads by Rite in the Rain are awesome to carry with a pen / pencil. You can let your group know where you're going if you get separated. You can let others know where you are if you get lost. The condition you are in. Hazards others may face. Plus, journaling and drawing is fun.

Best,

Kasey Marsters

FoxTrickAdventures.com

Stand For The Kids!
    And don't forget your copy of You Alone in the Maine Woods :)
  • Kasey M.Kasey M. ✭✭✭
    Bob said:
    Kasey M. said:

Best,

Kasey Marsters

FoxTrickAdventures.com

Stand For The Kids!
    And don't forget your copy of You Alone in the Maine Woods :)
    haha! yes - that little orange book. our family has a copy signed by Donn Fendler. R.I.P.

Best,

Kasey
    FoxTrickAdventures.com
  • haha! yes - that little orange book. our family has a copy signed by Donn Fendler.
    Signed by Donn Fendler, nice!