Hearty campfire meals?

John J.John J.
edited March 26 in Camping

Love to camp, but struggle to make meals that keep me full. Any great campfire recipes you've tried that really stick with you?

Tagged:

Comments

• Campfire burritos! You can fill 'em with anything you want. Use chicken and beans to keep you full. You can even make it a breakfast burrito with an egg or two for extra protein.

• Protein bars are good to have..
  • Zac H.Zac H.
    edited February 7
    Jambalaya - buy canned seafood (tuna, whitefish, shrimp, crap, etc.) and a box of Zataran's Jambalaya rice mix. Put it in a 2-4 qt pot and boil for 25 minutes. Serves 2 huge meals, 3 normal size, 4 smaller meals.

Can also put sausage (andouille, italian, ...) in with or in place of the seafood.
  • I have made this recipe and it has gone over sweepingly well. http://www.backpacking.net/recipes/others-cashew-rice-curry.html
  • I love any of those tin foil wrapped meals. Yum! Here's some decent suggestions: https://www.buzzfeed.com/melissaharrison/foil-packet-camping-recipes

• Foil wrapped pouches of potatoes, carrots, onions, and Italian dressing are quick, easy, and satisfying. They are always a big hit with my friends!
  • Rick P.Rick P.
    edited February 8
    I usually bring noodles and sauce or rice medley "sides" pouches....add a foil pouch of tuna or salmon to that and ...voila!....  Another favorite adds 2 tbsp of chunky peanut butter to thai noodles or rice. A splash of soy sauce...yum. Salmon, Tuna and PB are all great protein sources. 
  • MRE's are a great way to go!  They keep for years and really taste great!
  • I love to find meals you can cook in or over the campfire! That really makes the experience complete, especially if you have kids. Everything you normally make always tastes better when camping. My favorite is to just wrap your favorite ingredients in foil (veggies, potato/yam pieces, already cooked meat, butter and seasonings) all mixed together and tuck it in the coals around the fire. You can also find a ton of ideas here: http://camping.lovetoknow.com/Category:Camping_Food_Ideas
  • We're in our early 80s. Have car camped for 59 yrs.
    To keep it simple and fast, we often use Mountain House meals. Good choices and tasty. Otherwise, we cook like we are at home.
    'scuse ignorance: what are MRE's?
    Jay B.
  • Hi Jay,
    It’s  Meal Ready to Eat!
  • Bagels with cream cheese and summer sausage are great for the first day; after that, if you don't want to carry a lot of weight or have dishes to wash, freeze-dried meals, powdered potatoes, instant soups . . . anything that only requires boiling water.  Supplement with chocolate.
  • Chili. Cook your favorite chili recipe and freeze in ziplock bag(s). Bring uncooked rice. At campsite cook your rice first set aside then cook your chili. Frozen chill also serves as a cooler pack and tends not to spoil fast due to it’s acidity. 
  • I'm enjoying all the good suggestions here. Always looking for good camping food ideas!
  • Breakfast, take what ever you like in a omelet, for me cheese, ham, red peppers, onion, salt, and pepper, whisk some eggs and pour it all in a zip lock bag, then drop bag in boiling water. 
  • Jay B. said: J MREs are meals ready to eat military food. In In 
    We're in our early 80s. Have car camped for 59 yrs.
    To keep it simple and fast, we often use Mountain House meals. Good choices and tasty. Otherwise, we cook like we are at home.
    'scuse ignorance: what are MRE's?
    Jay B.

• J MREs are meals ready to eat. I know the Army started using them back in the early 80s. When I was in the Army we called them meals rejected by Ethiopians. They're not bad tasting now but they are heavy, they are about $9 a pouch. MRE' s come in a pouch they have a small pouch with condiments coffee and creamer, sugar usually Chiclets and a book of matches and toilet paper. They also  have a desert a main  entree and sometimes a vegetable type source. I prefer using the Mountain House meals myself. My wife and I will usually split a mountain house two serving meal. MREs do last quite a while on the Shelf. And the tan bags were made for the desert climate so the chocolate in them does not melt like it does in the dark brown bags. You also may get  M&Ms or Skittles.
  • Kinda depends on how big of a consideration weight is. If it's not too crucial however, rice and tuna is like manna from the gods! I would just bring a container of pre-cooked rice and a couple cans of tuna (1 or 2 people per can). Mix it with either 1 squirt of Ranch dressing or 1 shake of lemon pepper. It is simple, filling, and inexpensive. 

(side note: this is the ultimate college survival meal as well. I still love it though, so I'm eating it with the wife and kids on the regular, 10+ years after graduating! LOL)
  • Kasey M.Kasey M. ✭✭
    Dutch oven = hearty meals waiting to happen inside. If we're talking camping and not backpacking then you gotta learn to cook & bake with a dutch oven. Great to cook bacon in, muffins, breads, biscuits - which are great for soups & chowders. Let's not forget dutch oven brownies. How about a chili. 

Pick up a dutch oven and maybe a couple other cast iron pots & pans and a good  Dutch oven camping cookbook.

One of my favorite camping meals is corned beef hash, over easy eggs, served with fruit & coffee, next to a campfire overlooking a green valley or streamside.

Best,

Kasey Marsters

FoxTrickAdventures.com

• My vote is hearty homemade chilli. I make a batch of Cincinnati style chilli, then dehydrate it. Weighs almost nothing but cooks up just as good as the non-dehydrated version. I throw in a little extra water then some couscous once the chili is ready or mix in some cooked up some boil-in-bag instant rice. Makes for a very filling trail supper.