Hiking and Wildlife

I will be hiking Grand Tetons this August and do have some concerns about bears and other predators.  What are some tips for hikers and wildlife? It’s there neighborhood so I want to respect them and their space, while not endangering my life. 

Comments

  • Be alert to your surroundings and make noise as you hike by talking and having something hanging from your pack that bangs around. You dont want to sneak up on a predator, surprise them, or make them feel cornered. The noise lets them know you are coming from a distance and allows them to avoid you, which is generally their disposition.


  • Keith M.Keith M. ✭✭
    Grizzlies are uncommon on the most popular trails in the range; I have spent a lot of time in the Tetons, and have come across quite a few black bears but no grizzlies from Teton Canyon and Cascade Canyon south.  They are much more common in the north end of the range, where few people go.  Here is a good resource on bear safety from Grand Teton National Park: https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/bear_safety17-access.pdf

  • Amanda L.Amanda L. admin
    edited May 7
    That will be such a fun trip! Check out this article on bears in the Tetons, including identification and safety tips! https://www.trails.com/about_3612_bears-grand-tetons.html We'd love to see pics from your hikes when you get back.
  • Kasey M.Kasey M. ✭✭✭
    Use a bear bell -  and like Josh said - be aware of your surroundings. Good idea to keep conversation or song going within your group as your hike - helps critters know a human is near and they'll piece out.  Helps if you keep your food smells under control. I usually put my food in plastic grocery bags and then inside dry bags. Make sure you keep your food well away from where you are sleeping and put away when not in use. Clean up your campsite - OCD style. Don't dump food anywhere near where you'll be. 
  • Keith M. said:
    Grizzlies are uncommon on the most popular trails in the range; I have spent a lot of time in the Tetons, and have come across quite a few black bears but no grizzlies from Teton Canyon and Cascade Canyon south.  They are much more common in the north end of the range, where few people go.  Here is a good resource on bear safety from Grand Teton National Park: https://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/bear_safety17-access.pdf
    Thank you so much, I completely forgot about using the national park for reference.  We will be all over the area for 2 weeks, hiking and photography.

  • Amanda L. said:
    That will be such a fun trip! Check out this article on bears in the Tetons, including identification and safety tips! https://www.trails.com/about_3612_bears-grand-tetons.html We'd love to see pics from your hikes when you get back.

    Thanks you so, much that’s a great article, I am new to this site so I am still finding the resources.

  • jenni s. said:
    Amanda L. said:
    That will be such a fun trip! Check out this article on bears in the Tetons, including identification and safety tips! https://www.trails.com/about_3612_bears-grand-tetons.html We'd love to see pics from your hikes when you get back.

    Thanks you so, much that’s a great article, I am new to this site so I am still finding the resources. We will,be doing photography on this trip, I’ll be sure to get some pics up


  • Kasey M. said:
    Use a bear bell -  and like Josh said - be aware of your surroundings. Good idea to keep conversation or song going within your group as your hike - helps critters know a human is near and they'll piece out.  Helps if you keep your food smells under control. I usually put my food in plastic grocery bags and then inside dry bags. Make sure you keep your food well away from where you are sleeping and put away when not in use. Clean up your campsite - OCD style. Don't dump food anywhere near where you'll be. 

    Thanks for for the information.  I have hiked slot in AZ so I am good with the food and scent situation. I  have some good dry bags I will use.  Thanks again for all the insight.  I just ordered a bear bell

  • Hi Jenni, 

    I have hiked and canoe tripped in bear country for the past 50 years. Only ever saw one black bear and it was coming right down the West Coast Trail towards us.

    My suggestion is to check out the link to Parks Canada's bear safety site and to carry bear spray and know how to use it.

    Oh, and the bear paused about 30 feet away, gave a big huff as it shook it's head as if to say    "damn humans... on my trail again."  then turned into the brush and went around us, returning to the trail 30 feet behind us. Good hiking!!

    https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/mtn/ours-bears/securite-safety/ours-humains-bears-people
Sign In or Register to comment.