Cleaning & waterproofing technical clothing

Chic B.Chic B.
edited April 13 in Gear Advice & Care
I have been hiking, skiing, climbing, paddling, trail building, and both bikings, for over 50 years.
I don't believe I've ever tried a simpler way to clean and waterproof than the following.
Remember, 50 years of experience.

Buy a box of Arm & Hammer powder cleaner.
Use quantity to the third line on provided scoop for no more than two items.
Hand rinse and brush off surface dirt before washing.
Wash in moderately hot water.  Check for obvious dirt or grime left on cloths. Re-wash if needed, but only if needed.
Re-wash in moderately hot water ONLY
Re-wash in moderately hot water ONLY if cloths show signs of soap residue. It only happened once.
Thoroughly dry on medium heat.
Notice the fuzz in high wear areas. That's what gets you wet and cold when you are out in it.

End of season, I hang them out for a week to dry and air out.

Use SOFSOLE HEAVY DUTY SILICONE WATERPROOFER spray several times over a week period.
I re-apply the waterproofer several times, and on the shoulders I re-apply the arms, butt, and upper legs, several more times.
These are the areas that get the most snow/moisture/wear.
When you go in for lunch, dry your cloths with paper towel.
You can re-apply the waterproofer thru the ski season as long as your cloths aren't soiled.

For summer wear, do all the same above waterproofing, but make sure that your cloths are not dirty. If they are, start over from the beginning.

Its also wise to rinse off any dirt BEFORE IT DRIES.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DO NOT WEAR YOUR GOOD TECHNICAL CLOTHS FOR ANY OTHER REASON, THEN THE SPORTS YOU BOUGHT THEM FOR. IF THEY ARE NOT WATERPROOF WHEN YOU NEED THEM, YOU WILL SUFFER.

I Have no ties or interest in Sofsole or Arm & Hammer, they are just products that I have found to be very effective, inexpensive, and do the job.

Chic Burge
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
P.F.S.

ps.....
Spring, Summer and Fall,
as nice as they are,
are simply fillers
between ski seasons.
                    chic

Comments

• Kasey M.Kasey M. ✭✭✭
    Chic B. said:
    I have been hiking, skiing, climbing, paddling, trail building, and both bikings, for over 50 years.
    I don't believe I've ever tried a simpler way to clean and waterproof than the following.
    Remember, 50 years of experience.

Buy a box of Arm & Hammer powder cleaner.
    Use quantity to the third line on provided scoop for no more than two items.
    Hand rinse and brush off surface dirt before washing.
    Wash in moderately hot water.  Check for obvious dirt or grime left on cloths. Re-wash if needed, but only if needed.
    Re-wash in moderately hot water ONLY
    Re-wash in moderately hot water ONLY if cloths show signs of soap residue. It only happened once.
    Thoroughly dry on medium heat.
    Notice the fuzz in high wear areas. That's what gets you wet and cold when you are out in it.

End of season, I hang them out for a week to dry and air out.

Use SOFSOLE HEAVY DUTY SILICONE WATERPROOFER spray several times over a week period.
    I re-apply the waterproofer several times, and on the shoulders I re-apply the arms, butt, and upper legs, several more times.
    These are the areas that get the most snow/moisture/wear.
    When you go in for lunch, dry your cloths with paper towel.
    You can re-apply the waterproofer thru the ski season as long as your cloths aren't soiled.

For summer wear, do all the same above waterproofing, but make sure that your cloths are not dirty. If they are, start over from the beginning.

Its also wise to rinse off any dirt BEFORE IT DRIES.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DO NOT WEAR YOUR GOOD TECHNICAL CLOTHS FOR ANY OTHER REASON, THEN THE SPORTS YOU BOUGHT THEM FOR. IF THEY ARE NOT WATERPROOF WHEN YOU NEED THEM, YOU WILL SUFFER.

I Have no ties or interest in Sofsole or Arm & Hammer, they are just products that I have found to be very effective, inexpensive, and do the job.

Chic Burge
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    P.F.S.

ps.....
    Spring, Summer and Fall,
    as nice as they are,
    are simply fillers
    between ski seasons.
                        chic

Any recommendations for Wool - for us non-technical types? LOL

-Kasey

FoxTrickAdventures.com